KineFlex is our revolutionary on-the-fly skeletal system, introduced for the first time in EDAPT v.4.0 in 2018.
KineFlex uses Smart Magnet Rig metadata to allow an animator-friendly implementation of a Forward Kinematic system, with bones that exist only during the current transformation and do not impose any rigidity or structural changes to the Classic Tween approach.
Essentially it is an instantly generated skeleton which takes the current location and position of the elements as initial state (on MouseDown) and disappears after the end of the transformation (on MouseRelease).
An extremely powerful tool which allows precise quick posing, utilizing the available hierarchical structure of a Smart Magnet Rig.
Starting from EDAPT v.5 KineFlex can also be used as a FreeStyle rigging tool to dynamically create Smart Magnet Rigs.
KineFlex icon appears in the tools palette next to or below Free Transform (Q) tool.
In Animate 2020 and newer, click on the … at the bottom of the toolbar, find the tool's icon in the pool of tools and drag it to a desired location in toolbar. (Click for details…)
KineFlex can be chosen directly by clicking on its icon in the tools palette or by using KineFlex (SMR Tool) command - EDAPT shortcut G which makes KineFlex the currently active tool.
KineFlex creates on-the-fly temporary bone chains according to a forward kinematic model. These chains exist only during the posing operation, while the character retains all flexibility. Symbol and Layer structure, typical for the Classic Tween workflow remain unchanged.
Essentially, this is Bones with Forward Kinematic implemented well and animator friendly.
Modes of operation after choosing the KineFlex tool G:
- mousedrag: Soft FK rotation – rotates the clicked element while moving all its children relatively to its transformations, retaining children's directions unchanged.
- Alt+mousedrag: Hard FK rotation – rotates the clicked element and all its children keeping them 'firmly' attached to their relative positions
- Shift+mousedrag: Move chain – moves the clicked element and all its children
- F4+mousedrag: FreeStyle rigging mode – clicking on a Symbol instance while holding down F4 and dragging in the direction of another Symbol instance will draw bounding boxes around the source and the target instance and will show a dynamic arrow pointing from the source to the target. Upon mouse-release the target symbol will become a child of the source symbol. If Magnet Target is not present in the parent symbol it will be added automatically and so will be a Center Marker in the child symbol.
- Ctrl-down: Holding down [ Ctrl ] key while working with KineFlex will temporarily switch to Selection Tool (V-tool).
Posing; Advanced character animation; FreeStyle Smart Magnet Rigging
Where does it work?
Stage, Current frame – preexisting key(s); Needs a Smart Magnet Rig to use as posing tool
EDAP Tools v.5 shortcut
Modifier keys when the tool is active while dragging: Alt+ (hard rotation); Shift+ (move); F4+ (rigging mode)
KineFlex can be disabled via the EDAPT Contol Panel > Manage Commands > uncheck KineFlex checkbox
Important! KineFlex only works with Smart Magnet Rigs
Plugin tool script error in method mouseUp: If you see this message in Output, that means that the JSFL engine has crashed KineFlex. You need to restart Flash / Animate to be able to continue using it.
Animate CC 2019 and newer only: KineFlex is incompatible with Layer Parenting. (Read more)
Errors during FreeStyle SM rigging: If on the background you are running Macromedia Director, OpenOffice or Oracle VM VirtualBox, the KineFlex may fail to create CM and MT objects, resulting in an error message. These applications seem to steal or alter the clipboard. Just close Macromedia Director, OpenOffice and/or VirtualBox. You may need to restart Flash/Animate, but more likely not.
There may be other applications that do this also and the list may be incomplete.
All our videos are 1080p. If for some reason full HD is not available here, try watching them on youtube.