Interactive panel which allows users to create Thumbnails for each frame of the content of a Graphic Symbol and then to control the ‘looping’ setting and ‘first frame’ for a particular Symbol Instance, by clicking on the desired thumbnail. Properties such as Single Frame, Play Once and Loop can also be controlled simultaneously.
During the initial thumbnail creation, the panel assigns metadata to a symbol instance and later uses it to control it, which allows the users to automatically generate keyframes without the need to make a Timeline selection; to synchronize the instance with other instance(s) and to have all kinds of combinations where an object controls other synced object(s), but is also itself synced to other ‘masters’.
Character animation – Lip syncing, hand gestures, turnarounds, blinks and other eye or facial expressions
Where does it work?
A single instance on Stage or a single keyframe on Timeline must be selected for the initial creation of Thumbnails. After that no selection is required. The panel works in the current frame in the current Timeline.
EDAP Tools shortcut
Ctrl-click on the Create/Refresh thumbnails button refreshes the content of the currently loaded Symbol.
Shift-click on a thumbnail to hide from view. (Reload thumbnails to show hidden.)
Incorrect number and size of thumbnails (Flash 8, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 only)
In older versions of Flash thumbnail generation is affected by the settings chosen for the last exported PNG. Read more…
Thumbnails with solid background (Flash 8, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 only)
If you have noticed that thumbnails get generated with a solid background color (instead of transparent) and you cannot change this via Thumbnail Settings in the panel drop-down menu, there is an easy fix. In these older versions of Flash the image export is dependent on the PNG export setting in File menu. To change this go to File > Export > Export Image… and export one PNG, choosing “24-bit with alpha channel”. Flash will remember this setting. Then refresh your Thumbnails in SGC panel.
Lost metadata: (Animate versions earlier than 2019.2) Due to a bug in Flash CC and Animate CC the default Convert to Keyframes function does not retain the Smart Graphic Control (and SMR) metadata in the newly created keys.
To be able to use SGC in Flash/Animate, CC users have to switch completely to Convert To Keyframe Advanced.
Panel Title – can be edited and renamed from the menu at the top-right corner (Thumbnail Settings…)
Menu with various selection options:
- Create New Panel – creates another panel which can be open simultaneously to control a different instance
- Delete this Panel – deletes the current panel, if there are more than one
- Delete Timeline Thumbnails… – deletes all thumbnails associated with the current Timeline
- Clear Panel – removes the currently loaded thumbnails
Below panel Title:
Checkbox for enabling or disabling the Auto Key function
Radio buttons to control the Looping setting at the key
Main panel area where Thumbnails appear. Clicking on a Thumbnail makes it current and affects the associated Symbol Instance on the Timeline.
Shift-clicking on a Thumbnail will hide if from view.
Buttons at the bottom:
- Create (or Refresh) thumbnails – a Symbol instance needs to be selected to create Thumbnails. To refresh (for example to reflect edits made after the creation of Thumbnails) Ctrl-click the button. If there is nothing loaded and no selection and the button is pressed, it will look for potential existing metadata sets to load and if such are present will pop a list to choose from.
- Sync selected instance – requires a selected instance on Stage or key in Timeline. Allows to synchronize and control as many other elements in sync with the ‘master’ symbol. For example a mask that has to be synced with the eyes.
- Roll Over current thumbnails… — a command which enables users to transfer metadata from the currently loaded set of thumbnails to any other symbol instances (range of keys) selected in Timeline.
- Remove Thumbnail info and Synchronization Linkage – erases metadata from selected instances in the Timeline
- Bookmarks – allows users to bookmark three locations for quick jumping in case if the currently loaded set is large and needs frequent scrolling down and up.
Multiple panels can be created and open at the same time